As the summer was coming to an end, I was really craving something light and delicious for dinner. I’m a huge fan of tacos… Love the soft tortilla shell, meat, guacamole, shredded Mexican cheese, refried beans, dollops of sour cream… But guess what – that’s all bad for you! Sorry if I made you a bit hungry, I started to drool a bit myself. After I made this dish though, I didn’t crave all of those bad toppings that I normally put on a taco. The combination of the tilapia, tomatoes, and lime juice really hit the spot. I hope you can say the same too after you try this dish.
Bjorn gives this: 2 thumbs up (but was still pretty hungry afterwards)
Tilapia Fish Tacos
- 1lb fresh tilapia fillets
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- Sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 avocado, sliced
- In a large skillet over a medium-high heat, combine the olive oil with onions and garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes, until the onions are translucent.
- Add the tilapia fillets to the skillet. Allow the fillets to cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side. As the fish begins to cook, break it apart into flaky pieces.
- Add the tomatoes, cilantro and lime juice to the mix and then season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 5 minutes before removing from heat.
- Garnish with fresh avocado slices and enjoy!