No grains on the Paleo diet. This means…. no rice. I’m Chinese. How can you take rice away from me?? The answer is… you can’t. And that’s one of the many reasons why it’s a semi Paleo kind of life. I have white or brown rice probably once a week (usually on the weekends). But during the week, I’ve found this amazing substitute for rice…. Cauliflower rice. This recipe will change the way you look at rice. Who would’ve thought that cauliflower could be a substitute for rice!
Did you also know that cauliflower is a superfood? It’s packed with tons of antioxidants, vitamin C, vitamin K, and fiber – plus it’s low in calories. Some articles have mentioned it’s powers to fight cancer, too! So think about it – Jasmine rice (which lacks a lot of important nutrients) or cauliflower “rice” (which is filled with tons of good stuff for your bod)?
Bjorn gives this – “Not bad!” (This is a true compliment coming from a man that can eat rice for breakfast, lunch, and dinner!)
Pork Fried “Rice”
- Half a head of cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 2 pork chops, chopped (Note: you can substitute this with any meat of your choice… beef, chicken, duck. Not just limited to pork)
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 2 eggs, scrambled
1. Steam or boil the cauliflower until tender (about 15 minutes). Use a fork to check to ensure that the cauliflower does not get too mushy.
2. While the cauliflower is cooking, put your skillet on medium-high and add olive oil, onions, garlic, and ginger. Saute for about 5 minutes.
3. Add the chopped up pieces of pork chop to the skillet. Make sure you give it a good stir so that it picks up on the onion, garlic, and ginger flavors. Add in a pinch of sea salt and black pepper.
4. Whisk the eggs and add into the mix, stir so it becomes scrambled.
5. Once the cauliflower is done, drain the cauliflower and throw into a blender or food processor and chop until it reaches a rice like consistency (think cous cous).
6. Add the rice like cauliflower into the skillet and mix all of the ingredients together.