I love the fall. It’s my favorite time of year. It would amazing if we could move somewhere where the weather is like this 365 days a year… That would be perfection.
With the crisp Autumn weather comes a specific craving for a warm and comforting dinner after a long day of work. Nothing says warm and comforting better than a fantastic meal cooked in the slow cooker. This recipe features some of my favorite tools in the kitchen – a crock pot and a mandoline. You don’t necessarily need the mandoline for this recipe, but the crock pot is a must!
And also, the best thing about a slow cooker is that dinner is ready when you get home. The aromas that fill the house when you come home from work are just heavenly.
Slow cooked pork tenderloin
- 2 lbs pork loin (boneless)
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced (this is where my mandoline came in handy)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 14 oz of chicken stock (or any other stock of your choice)
- 14 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 4 bay leaves
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Olive oil
1. Trim any excess fat on the pork loin. Season with sea salt and black pepper.
2. In a skillet over medium to high heat, drizzle with olive oil and sear the meat on all sides so that it becomes a nice golden brown color. Remove from skillet and place in slow cooker. Searing the meat before placing it in the slow cooker allows it to retain the flavors. Also, it gives the pork a nice golden brown color that you can’t get if you just place the raw pork loin in the slow cooker.
3. Using the same skillet, drizzle olive oil and add in garlic, onions, chili powder, and cumin. Saute for about 5 minutes.
4. Add the apple cider vinegar. Continue to cook until most of the liquid has evaporated.
5. Add the stock to the skillet. Mix well. Remove from heat and pour contents over pork loin in the slow cooker.
6. Add the can of diced tomatoes to the slow cooker. Add the bay leaves and season with sea salt and pepper. Give everything a good stir.
7. Set your slow cooker to low and cook for 8 hours.
8. When serving, discard the bay leaves and shred the pork with a fork. Serve alone or atop Cauliflower rice.