The thing that I love about this diet is cooking with natural substitutes for the dishes that I love…. cauliflower as a substitute for rice, spaghetti squash as a substitute for pasta, cauliflower/almond meal/flaxseed meal for pizza crust. Yep, you heard me correctly — pizza crust!
After an awesome trip to Trader Joe’s, I got all of my ingredients for the pizza crust. I love being able to pick up everything in one place and for such an affordable price, too. The 16 oz bag of almond meal is only $3.99 and the 16 oz bag of Bob’s Red Mill Flaxseed meal is only $2.69! I bought so many other goodies that I’m so excited to try… Kale chips, coconut chips, coconut ice cream; will provide an update on all those treats in a future post!
I was very excited to try making Paleo pizza tonight. It was surprisingly pretty good! I think I’m going to add cheese next time. I know Paleo is dairy free, but I have not cut dairy completely out of my diet. The pizza turned out tasty, but definitely needed some cheese to complete the true pizza experience!
Bjorn didn’t try this because it was “too healthy”. He opted for the frozen Digiorno’s in the freezer instead. 🙂
- 1/2 head of cauliflower, steamed, and chopped in a food processor (same as preparing cauliflower rice)
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup flaxseed meal
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Toppings of your choice (I added tomato sauce, red bell peppers, zucchini, mushrooms, sundried tomatoes, and prosciutto)
1. In a mixing bowl, add chopped up cauliflower, almond meal, flaxseed meal, eggs, baking soda, and seasonings. Mix well.
2. Roll the mixture into a ball and press down onto a greased baking sheet. Bake for 35-40 minutes at 350 degrees (F), or until crust turns golden brown.
3. While the crust is baking, prepare your toppings of choice. I sliced my veggies and sautéed them with minced garlic in a skillet (I like my veggies cooked well when on pizza).
4. Once the crust is done, remove from oven, and add your toppings. Place back into oven and bake for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, slice, and enjoy!