Breakfast is my favorite meal. During the week, breakfast is always on the go – grab a protein bar, have some cereal, make instant oatmeal in a paper cup with the hot water from the coffee machine at work … A full and complete breakfast, with eggs, bacon, toast, & coffee (or a mimosa ;)) signifies the weekend to me; a time to decompress and relax from a long week of work.
Today’s breakfast was inspired by the following:
- Watching too much Top Chef; which gave me the idea of a deconstructed omelet. They seem to always be deconstructing traditional dishes on that show. It never gets old.
- Too many clothes in my closet; which has made me start shopping for really fun (and perhaps useless) kitchen gadgets.
I was shopping at Marshall’s the other day and came across this awesome gadget that makes your egg a perfect round circle when cooking! Haven’t we all experienced that issue before? You crack the egg into pan and then the egg whites just fly everywhere. You try to save it, get super frustrated because it won’t go back into the shape, and then realize it’s way too late and your fried egg is a hot mess. This “roundy egg ring” by Joie will solve all of those problems!
Since I now had the opportunity to make a perfect round fried egg, I had to make the perfect round components to go along with it!
- 2 eggs
- 1 slice of uncured bacon, cut into 1/4″ pieces
- 1/4 onion, diced
- 2 baby bella mushrooms, chopped
- 4 sundried tomatoes, chopped
- 2 slices of wheat toast (optional for those Paleo folks)
- Olive oil
- Sea salt and black pepper
- In a small skillet over medium to high heat, cook your bacon until it becomes nice and crispy.
- Using the bacon fat as your cooking oil, toss in onions, mushrooms, and sundried tomatoes. Saute for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- On low heat, fry your 2 eggs, using the awesome “roundy egg ring” tool.
- As the eggs are almost done, toast 2 slices of wheat bread. Use the rim of a drinking glass to cut out the round shape on the toast. (There’s a kitchen gadget for this, but I don’t own one yet…)
- Remove eggs from skillet.
- Layer your deconstructed omelet – Lay 1 piece of toast, then top of bacon hash, then with a fried egg, and repeat process until ingredients are used up.
- ENJOY with a nice cup of coffee to start your day off right!