Valentine’s Day; you either love it or hate it.
I love it.
Yeah, yeah, yeah… go ahead… Tell me how “if you really love someone, you should show them EVERYDAY” or how it’s such a “waste of money”. Though I do agree that you should show your love everyday (which can be as simple as an “I love you”), I do not agree on how it’s a waste of money. You see, people who go out and wine and dine with their loves are just not being very smart. Save those for the nights for more memorable occasions… an anniversary, a birthday, a celebration of an important milestone in your life. Instead, spend your money wisely this Valentine’s day by preparing a fresh meal for your boo followed by some delicious and unique treats.
Here’s an easy and unique treat to make the day before – no boring box of chocolates here!
Chocolate Covered Bacon
Makes 8 pieces
- 4 strips of uncured bacon
- 8 oz of 70% cacao chocolate, chopped
- In a large skillet over high heat, cook the strips of bacon until nice and crispy. Remove from heat.
- In a double boiler, melt the chopped chocolate pieces. I do not own a double boiler, so I filled a small pot, about 1/4 full with water. I added the chopped chocolate pieces to a glass mixing bowl. Once the water begins to boil, place the glass mixing bowl on top and continue to stir the chocolate pieces until melted. Note that the glass mixing bowl should not touch the boiling water in the pot.
- While the chocolate is melting, break the bacon strips in half (so, from the 4 strips, you now have 8 pieces).
- When the chocolate has melted, dip the bacon strips and coat evenly. Place on wax paper and let cool for 10 minutes.