I love shopping clearance at Target. You honestly never know what you will find! I peruse the clearance shelves in every section. Clothing, cosmetics, personal care, home decor, stationary, grocery – ah, the list goes on and on. I found these packets of Frontera taco seasoning packets and thought I’d give it a try. The ingredients aren’t too bad (Tomato, water, New Mexico mild chile pepper, onion, tomato paste, guajillo chile pepper, garlic, chipotle peppers (chipotles, tomatoes, salt, sesame oil, paprika, vinegar and spices), salt, evaporated cane juice, white vinegar, agave nectar, expeller pressed canola oil, extra virgin olive oil, and oregano.). Rick Bayless is one of my favorite chefs, so I knew this would be worth the $2.11. No more Old El Paso for us…
Makes 10 tacos
- 1 packet of Frontera taco skillet sauce
- 1 lb of boneless chicken breast, cubed
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- Olive oil
- 10 corn tortillas (use Romaine lettuce as shells for a Paleo recipe!)
- 1 avocado, cut into cubes
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 6 tablespoons cilantro, coarsely chopped
- A bit of lime juice
- Sea salt
- In a medium skillet over medium to high heat, drizzle olive oil, and saute onions for about 5 minutes.
- Drizzle additional olive oil, add in chicken breast and cook until browned around the edges, an additional 5-7 minutes.
- Add Frontera taco skillet sauce and mix well. Remove from heat.
- In a separate bowl, add all salsa ingredients and mix well.
- In a separate skillet (or in the microwave), warm up the tortillas.
- Place tortilla onto plate, spoon on chicken and onion mixture, top with avocado salsa. Serve with lime wedges. (Optional toppings – sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese).