I guess you can consider this part 2 of my previous post. 5 day juice cleanse (courtesy of The Stand) is complete. I have so much to share with you, but don’t want to turn this into a rambling post (because I really have that much to say). If you’re thinking of doing a juice cleanse (or are curious about it), then hopefully this post will enlighten you a bit!
I feel healthier.
The juices consumed included ingredients that I wouldn’t normally include in my daily diet. I was exposed to an array of fruits and veggies and learned about the benefits of them along the way. Did you know that cucumbers are highly cleansing and benefits both digestion and circulation? Or that the cinnaldehyde in cinnamon helps prevent unwanted clumping of blood platelets? Or that sprouts are a powerful source of antioxidants?
I feel more energized.
You can’t have caffeine at all during this process. That means cutting out all coffee in the morning, caffeinated teas, drinks, etc. I thought this would be very difficult, considering the fact that I enjoy a rich cup of Sumatra coffee every morning, but I was never tired or exhausted throughout the day. The juices provided me with enough energy to get through the day. I also woke up every morning, well before my alarm went off. I was not groggy and was able to immediately hop out of bed and start my day.
I’m going to change my eating habits and start making better food choices.
Consuming these ingredients has made me feel healthier and have also inspired me to make healthier choices when it comes to food. I want to consume more raw ingredients. I want to consume more vegetables, greens, and natural foods. Coming off the cleanse, my body knew it wanted food, but it also knew that it wanted to eat a healthy spinach salad. I hope that this mentality continues well into the future.
Consider doing this if…
1. You want to jumpstart a diet. It’s a great way to get you motivated and inspired to start a new diet in your life.
2. You feel like you’ve fallen off the “healthy” track and into a vicious cycle of take out, greasy foods, poor food choices, and want to get back onto the “healthy” track. A juice cleanse is called a cleanse for a reason. This process will help you detoxify and cleanse your body from all of that junk you’ve been shoving into your mouth.
3. You’re the least bit curious about a juice cleanse. What do you have to lose? (If anything, you will lose a few pounds along the way!) Why not experience it for yourself?
Do not consider doing this if…
1. You want to lose weight and keep it off. I believe that the weight loss from a juice cleanse is only temporary. It’s obvious to any human being that if your body is consuming juices for 5 days straight, that you will lose weight. Yes, it’s true. But, when your body starts to consume solid foods again, you’re going to gain some of that weight back. I lost 9 lbs during this cleanse, but anticipate to gain some of it back once I start eating again.
2. You haven’t done your own personal research on juice recipes, ingredients to use, etc. I had the benefit of doing my cleanse through a program that was offered by a local business in town. They offer these programs on a weekly basis and the folks clearly know what they are doing. If you are planning on doing the cleanse yourself, make sure that you clearly understand the purpose of the ingredients used. A juice cleanse isn’t about drinking freshly squeezed orange juice in the morning, a banana strawberry smoothie in the afternoon, and a frothy protein shake at night.
At the end of the day…
It was a great and inspiring experience, but I don’t think I will do it again. Some of the juices made me gag. This is no offense to the awesome folks at The Stand. It’s just…. the ingredients were not really appetizing. Some of the drinks were very hard to consume. But some of the drinks were delicious. I’d also recommend doing this cleanse in the warmer months. All of the drinks are refrigerated, so drinking 6 cold drinks on a 30 degree day, is not really welcoming or refreshing.
Now, onto some more fun and delicious Paleo dishes….!!! I’m excited to stock up my fridge with some fabulous ingredients and start cooking again!!